Friday, December 26, 2008

Preaching in Santa Isabel

Preaching in Santa Isabel was a breathe of fresh air. There were people who had never received a witness before. Many people listened which is always wonderful. We worked in one territory in the mountains and I spoke to a lady who was blind and had other health problems. She said she could not read and that no one was home. So, I read to her some scriptures and offered her the magazine and encouraged her to have her family read it to her when they returned home. She agreed and tucked the magazine away in her dress. Further up in the territory, we met another lady who was blind. She actually had lost her sight over time. (I believe Ecuador is no. 1 or no. 2 in the world for some type of eye cancer however I don´t know what the cause of their loss in eyesight.) Anyway, she listened as I read to her from the bible the hope for the blind and the sick. She was pleased and thanked us for the visit. Later, we came to a water treatment plant. There was a man working outside. It was hot and he was dripping in sweat. It was my partner`s turn to talk, a little sister from St. Isabel. She gave her presentation and placed the magazine. As she was talking, he asked us if we wanted to come inside. I looked up towards the wire fence that was closed with a lock and looked back at him and kindly said no thanks. We are not going to take much of your time because I know that you have work to do. I said. The rest of the friends were out of sight and I was afraid to go behind the gate. Besides, we were in the middle of nowhere. As we stood there in the beating heat, he offered us two more times to come in. For some reason, I agreed. As we were passing the side wall of this house, I noticed a very larg knife about two feet in length. I just about passed out. He went inside of his house, located right on the grounds of the treatment plant and brought back two chairs. We sat down on the patio....out of the view of the friends. I said a quick prayer to Jehovah to protect us. To my surprise, this guy was really interested. He asked some really good questions and even directed some of them to the young sister I was preaching with. He wanted to know how could it be possible for someone so young....11 years old ... to know that she was ready to serve Jehovah. She explained that we just don´t baptize people that you have to study the bible and then come to that conclusion yourself. It was great. Then we heard her dad looking for us and he came in to sit with us. He joined in the conversation and placed the Que EnseƱa book and set up an appointment to study. I am so greatful that the angels are directing this preaching work.... because I was ready to take off the first time he offered us to go inside.
On Sunday, it was somewhat different. We preached directly in front of a large church. There is a park situated directly in front of this church and many were just sitting around. So, we took advantage of the situation and gave a witness. I was able to place a book with a lady who lived in a different town. We also preached to two men. It was not until later that I realized that they were drunk. I am not really quick on picking up on things like that, I guess.

No comments: