Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A job offer from Faith

I had an incredible conversation with my five year old cousin, Faith. It left me in tears from laughing so much.

The scene: Faith and I are in the kitchen. I am drying and putting the dishes away. Faith is standing near the table talking to me.

Faith: Barbara, I miss you when I'm at grammies.
Barb: Well, why didn't you call me?
Faith: Grammie said that you will call me?
Barb: But how am I gonna know when you miss me so that I can call you?
Faith: I don't know.
Barb: And besides, I need that 'special phone' to call you.
Faith: You can buy the phone.
Barb: How can I buy the 'special phone' if I have no job and no money?
Faith: I can give you a job.
Barb: Really! You'd give me a job? But, what kind of work will I be doing for you?
Faith: Well, you could make my bed. Not the bottom one, just the top one where I was sleeping last night. And, you could clean the counter in the kitchen...and..
Barb: Ok, but if I do all this work for you, what will you give me?
Faith: I will give you monies. (Faith walked into her room to retrieve her purse and enters the kitchen) See, I have some monies I could give you. One, two, three.... (Faith pulls out various coins...pennies, dimes, quarters and starts to count them ...one money, two, three...)
Barb: Ok, lets see how much you have...25, 50, 55, 65,...73...you have 73 cents.
Faith: See, I can give you monies.
Barb: How much does this 'special phone' cost?
Faith: $70.00
Barb: 70 dollars!!! Ok. Well, how many 'years' will I have to work for you before I could buy that 'special phone' ...?
Faith: 100 years.
Barb: 100 years!!! ...I don't think I want this job. Besides, you're kidda of bossy.
Faith: That's ok. I can give the job to Jordan.
(Jordan is our 6 yr. old neighbor.)

P.S. The special phone needed to call Faith is a kiddie's version of a safety pin that rattles.

No comments: