Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Do you know how to pray? - CA

Towards the beginning, I taught them the importance of prayer.
Barb: Do you know how to pray?
Marcus: Yes, Monique taught us a prayer when we were younger.
BJ: God is good, God is great thank you Lord for this food and this day.
Barb: Well, praying to God is like talking to someone. When you speak to someone do you say the same thing over and over?
Marcus & BJ.: No
Barb: That's right, it would be irritating, wouldn't it. So, that's why when we pray to Jehovah we pray about what's in our heart. We then offer our prayers in Jesus' name because he died for all of us, so that we could have hope for a better future. What is the name of Jehovah's son?
Marcus: Jesus
Barb: That's right. We offer our prayers to Jehovah but in the name of Jesus and when we are ready to end our prayer we say AMEN. That means that you understand and agree with what was said in the prayer and if you don't then you don't say AMEN.

When we studied I would offer a prayer to Jehovah and even when we were about to eat, the boys would ask me to say the prayer. One day at lunchtime, I realized that B.J. did not ask me to say the prayer after I had handed his lunch to him. When I looked back, he had his hands folded in front of him and his head bent down. He was saying the prayer on his own!!!! My heart rejoiced.

On another occasion, Marcus, B.J. and myself were about to play a card game called Phase 10.
Barb: Let me finish cleaning the kitchen B.J. and I will be in there to play with you guys.
B.J.: Ok.
A few minutes later I heard B.J saying.....
Jehovah God, thank you for this day and thank you Jehovah for not letting me have homework today and Jehovah, thank you for this game Phase 10. I like this game Jehovah, so please help me to win at Phase 10 Jehovah because I never won before and I would like to win this time. O.k. Thank you Jehovah. AMEN. MARCUS, AMEN, say AMEN Marcus. 'Amen' said Marcus. BARBARA, AMEN..say AMEN. 'Amen' I said.

I silently laughed to myself and told B.J. now that was a beautiful prayer, but what do you think that Jehovah would appreciate the most, that we pray to help us enjoy the game or to win?
B.J.: I know, ... to help us enjoy the game.
Barb: that's right. I think that Jehovah likes those types of prayers the best.
B.J.: O.K.

No comments: