Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Do you know God's name? - CA

Background info.
As many of the friends know, I am the only witness in my family... that I know of. With that being said, over the years it has been very difficult to preach to members of my family. Thanks to Jehovah and much prayer, I have these awesome experiences to share. I hope you will enjoy them.

Elk Grove, CA
Due to the high cost of living in CA, my sister Monique and our cousin Bryant (a single father of three) decided to buy a home together. It has been a great way for them to share living expenses. Two of Bryant's children are school age (Marcus -13, B.J. -11 and Faith is 3 years old) and I wanted to be at there home to open the door, give them a snack and help them with their homework. On this particular day, I was studying my Watchtower and B.J. was doing his homework. He asked me what homework did I have to do and I proceeded to explain to him about the Watchtower and how this study is conducted at the Kingdom Hall. I took the opportunity to talk to B.J. about Jehovah and here is how the conversation went (as I recall to the best of ability.)

Barb: B.J. do you know what God's name is?
B.J.: It's God
Barb: So if I called you boy or brother or kid, would that be your name?
B.J.: No, my name is Bryant (Jr.)
Barb: Like your name is Bryant and my name is Barbara, don't you think it is reasonable that God has a name too.? Do you want to know what it is?
B.J.: Yes.
Barb: Please read what it says here, this is the book of Psalms and 83 is the chapter and 18 is the verse.
(B.J. reads the verse and I asked him what does the Bible say God's name is?)
B.J.: God's name is Je-ho-vah.
Barb: That's correct. So if someone tells you that the name of God is God what can you say?
B.J.: No, God's name is Jehovah
Barb: How do you know that God's name is Jehovah.
B.J.: Because the Bible says it is.
Barb: Where does it say it?
B.J.: Uh, I don't remember.
Barb: The Bible is made up of 66 books and letters and one of them is called Psalms, see the name at the top of the bible. The large number is the chapter of the book and the small number is the verse. So one of the many scriptures we can find God's name is found at Psalms chapter 83 verse 18. So, where exactly does it say God's name in the Bible?
B.J.: At Psalms 83:18.
Barb: Excellent.

Later on that day just before 4pm, Marcus arrives from home and B.J. quickly gets up from the dining table and meets him at the door asking Marcus with excitement in his voice. "Marcus, do you know what God's name is?"
Marcus: Uh, God.
B.J.: No, it's Jehovah! Barbara, can you look up God's name in the Bible so that Marcus can read it?
Barb: Sure. (I turned to the verse and handed the book to B.J.)
B.J.: Read it right here Marcus, verse 18.
Marcus: oh, it's Jehovah. That's cool.
B.J.: Yeah. God's name is Jehovah not God.
Barb: Hey guys, I have some books that will answer many of the questions you may have. (I search through a box that I had shipped to Monique's house and pulled out two books: Learn From The Greatest Teacher and My Book by Bible Stories.)
Barb: Take a seat guys right here on the sofa. One of you on each side of me please and lets see what information we can find. (First we read from the Great Teacher book and we learned about Jehovah creating the earth, animals, and humans. They had many questions of which many were answered in the proceeding study. I told them that if their dad agreed, then we could read these books together. So, when Bryant, Sr. came home, I explained to him what happened and he agreed that it was ok to give them study.

The very next morning, I am sound asleep in my sister's bed when I heard.... Knock, Knock, Knock on her door. I wake up somewhat startled and answer 'yes'.
BJ: Can we read some more from the book when I get home from school?
Barb: Yeah babe, that's fine.
(For several mornings, I heard the same knock and I gave B.J. the same wonderful response.)

Later on when Marcus and BJ were home from school and their chores and homework were completed, we all sat down on the sofa and read from the books. We read more stories out of the Book of Bible Stories. That was their favorite.

No comments: