Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Group"

During my visit with mom, we went to 'group'. It's a program that mom signed up for that appears to be for older ones that are having a tough time dealing with life changes. It's like a support group. Well, mom is always telling me about the people in 'group' and she always tells them about her kids...the latest and greatest events in their lives. Anyways, she asked me to accompany her on Monday as like a 'show and tell'. The place was like a community centered for the retired. They have outtings and other events for them to do throughout the month.

In one of the conference rooms, a group of people sat around a table and written on the white board where some things that were going to be discussed. There was a speaker directing the group, Lori. I sat next to mom and just listened as people took turns talking about the items writen on the white board. I am so grateful to Jehovah for the opportunity to accompany mom. I believe that mom is really benefiting from this program. I am most grateful to Jehovah because for the first time, I realized that mom is getting old and that association is very important. Mom has always been very social. Many that know her often say that she never met a stranger. Now that she is getting older, she is limited to doing a lot of things. She can't walk for a long period of time because she has problems with her knees as well as other health problems. Somehow, I was stuck. In my mind, mom never grows old or has any serious medical issues. She always remains vibrant, full of energy and life. Although I am close to my mom, I was more occupied with my own life. But the reality is, she is getting older and perhaps in a physical sense far more than her years. With all the medication, to me, mom looks older than her 59 years. Life is taking its toll on her physically. And mom admits, some bad decisions have contributed to the life she now has. But what can I do? I can love her and instead of just being words, I can show her that I care and that she is very important to me. I can visit and call her more often, send her cards and take out for lunch. I can spend time with her. No matter how badly I want to serve somewhere else...in a greater need area... Jehovah has already shown me where the need is... right here... with mom.

No comments: