Saturday, March 21, 2009

another update

Sorry friends for the delay in updating my blog. A lot has happened so let me give you some brief updates.
I no longer work at Porvenir. The laws here in Ecuador have changed and made it very difficult to obtain a work visa. Besides that, the owner of the school was not too cooperative with regards to providing certain documents. So, I had to give my notice and Friday before last was my last work day. (The economy has even effected fingding available teaching Eng. jobs. Besides, if I found a company that offered me work, I would not be able to obtain the necessary documents before April 12th, the expiration date.) I went to the school the following Tuesday to correct the semester exams and to log the information in the computer, but other than that... no more work. I was really sad. I am going to miss the students in each of the levels I taught... 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 3rd level (the equivalent of 11th, 12th and 13th grade). However, another part of me is very relieved. It has been a difficult battle trying to get my visa. The various governmental departments are not as cooperative as I would like. Just think, it would be like going into a DMV for everything that one would need to do.... at least that`s what it felt like to me.
Since I am not able to work,I have no work visa and my current visa expires on May 12th. I have a return flight home on May 5th. My family is very excited since they have constantly asked me to return home. A part of me is sad, since my initial goal was to stay for 2 years. But, even though I must go home, I don´t regrete coming to server by myself. It was difficult, different, and I had many trying moments, but I have grown and become much closer to Jehovah.

No comments: