Wednesday, May 28, 2008

1st two week in Ecuador

My time spend thus far in Ecuador has been absolutely wonderful. I arrived in Guayaquil and stayed at the branch for a few days. I had to take care of some paperwork there and while I was their I was able to attend morning worship and a bookstudy that meets a few minutes away from the branch. There is still construction going on at the branch in Guayaquil. It´s mainly residence quarters.
Once I arrived in Cuenca, I had to get settled in and organize my stuff. It took me about two weeks to get things in order and to get familiar with the local stores. I rent a room from the Valdivieso and have my own bathroom. It took me about two weeks to figure out how to adjust the hot/cold nozzles so that I didn´t get scolded by the hot water or frozen from the cold water.
The family of Witnesses that I am staying are very loving and kind. We have book study that meets in the home on Wednesdays. I can walk to the Kingdom Hall from the house. It takes me about 15 minutes. The Willis´who are also serving here from GA, USA live about a 30 min walk for me from the house.
Preaching is great here because everyone speaks Spanish. Most are kind and accept the literature we offer. I have already started a study that Sis. Willis handed over to me since I live across the street from Narcisa. You can imagine my excitement. We have her study on Mondays. It rains almost daily and it is wise to carry an umbrella. My shoes have to be hosed down on a daily basis because there is a lot of mud ... dirt roads. The main roads are paved with asphalt but many of the roads that leads to the residences are mainly dirt roads.
There are plenty of dogs here in Cuenca. Most dogs just bark, some are scared of you when you walk by and just move out the way. However, there are those dogs that are really protective. Those are the ones we need to watch out for in the ministry.
Well I hope you will be able to see some of the pictures that I took of my time so far in Ecuador.
Within the first two weeks, we had the Circuit Assembly and then the C.O. visit. It was a very hectic two weeks. To ensure that I get to the service meetings on time or even to the friend´s house, I have to draw a small map. One day I got lost coming back from the Willis´house, but thanks to Jehovah, I arrived home without much delay.

No comments: